Planning for Passing a Resolution
Below are some materials to prepare for a council meeting and strategies to boost media coverage. This suggested detailed timeline (PDF) also provides some helpful guidance in your planning. If you have a question that is not answered in this guide, please get in touch.
Our team provides a lot of assistance in mobilizing supportive calls to the council ahead of the vote and in preparing and distributing press releases. If your resolution has been placed on an agenda or if you expect it to be put on the agenda soon, please set up a call with us to work out a strategy plan.
Preparing for your Council Hearing
- Let us know that a vote is coming up so we can help with outreach. We’ll work with you to generate a call list and script that your supporters can use to contact uncommitted councilmembers. We’ll also reach out to our own subscribers in your area who we can count on to call their councilmember.
- Use our petition tool to collect signatures and supportive comments.
- Prepare members of your group to testify online at the council vote. Here are script templates: Medicare for All Benefits to Local Public Agencies Testimony (90 second version) / Medicare For All Benefits to Local Public Agencies Testimony (3 minute version)
Strategies for boosting media coverage
- Here is a guide to help you reach out to the media. (PDF)
- Send out a media advisory a week in advance and make follow up calls to your local media. You might get some coverage in advance. Here is a model media advisory that you can adapt.
- Print out copies of your press release. Here is a sample press release.
- Here are some other documents that you can include in press packets.
- Write a letter to the editor or op-ed to your local paper explaining why the current COVID-19 pandemic exposes the dangers and pitfalls of our current for-profit health care system and tying health insurance to employment as tens of millions potentially face job loss. Here are some resources you can use as you write:
- COVID-19/Medicare for All talking points for Letters to the Editor/Op-Eds (feel free to cut and paste)
- Fact Sheet: How Would the Response to COVID-19 Differ Under Medicare for All? (Public Citizen)
- Blog: COVID-19 and the Urgency of Medicare for All (Health Care NOW)
- Resources: COVID-19 and Medicare for All (Physicians for a National Health Program)
- Millions of Americans are about to lose their health insurance in a pandemic (Wendell Potter, Business for Medicare for All)