A petition in support of your Medicare for All resolution can help to push councilmembers to take action by demonstrating that their constituents support the effort.
To do this, you can use our sample petition to create your petition. If you would like us to create an online version of your petition so that you can circulate it to members of your community electronically as well, send us a copy of your petition (and resolution if you have already written one).
Some ideas for collecting signatures:
- Bring your petition and sign-up sheet to table at public events. (You may want to have a few copies of the resolution itself if folks want to read it.)
- Canvass at farmers’ markets, fairs, town halls, and other popular local events.
- Invite organizations that you know have endorsed Medicare for All to collect signatures from their members.
- Share your petition with email lists and local Facebook groups.
- Host a watch party for our Virtual Town Hall on October 28 and have your petition ready for attendees to sign.
Here’s what to do with your petition:
- Record sign-up information in a spreadsheet or make sure you keep copies so that you can let people know when the council schedules a vote on your resolution.
- Schedule a meeting with your councilmember to deliver the petition or organize a visibility-raising event to draw attention to your petition delivery.
Questions? Comments? Please get in touch if you need help planning your event.