Planning for Passing a Resolution
Thank you for organizing your fellow citizens to work to pass a local or resolution in support of Medicare-for-All.
Below are some steps, tips, and materials for a successful event, whether it is council vote on your resolution or a public forum to keep moving things forward. This suggested detailed timeline (PDF) also provides some helpful guidance in your planning. If you have a question that is not answered in this guide, send us a note through our sign up page.
- Getting People to Your Council Vote, Public Forum or Rally
- Here are some outreach tips to get people to your event(PDF).
- Here is a sample rally flyer (PDF). Feel free to adapt and include the time, place and contact information.
- Here is a guide to use social media to build your event(PDF).
- Send us the details of your rally so we can help promote it.
- Make announcements at meetings of local organizations
- Table, petition and pass out flyers in public spaces and at public events.
- Create a Public Service Announcement for your local radio or TV stations.
- Preparing for Your Press Event and Council Vote
- Here is a guide to help you reach out to the media. (PDF)
- Send out a media advisory a week in advance and make follow up calls to your local media. You might get some coverage in advance. Here is a model media advisory (PDF) that you can adapt.
- Print out copies of your press release. Here is a sample press release (PDF).
- Here are some other documents that you can include in press packets.
- Prepare members of your group to testify at the council vote. Here are script templates: Medicare for All Benefits to Local Public Agencies Testimony (90 second version)/ Medicare For All Benefits to Local Public Agencies Testimony (3 minute version).
- After Your Event
- Send an e-mail thanking everyone for attending and share with them a summary of what you decided your next steps will be, including your next meeting and commitments individuals made.